Do you feel like the days go by, and you can’t seem to get through all the things you want to get done? In this blog post, I share with you some easy and simple tips on how you can have a more productive day so that at the end of the day, you can feel more fulfilled.
[ Disclosure : This post contains affiliate links ]
Now that most of us are stuck at home, some of us working, some of us not, it’s a great time to start implementing and practicing habits to get organized and to have a productive day. The goal here isn’t to become machines but rather to be more intentional with our time and focus, so that at the end of the day, we can feel fulfilled without feeling drained.
Keep in mind that when I talk about having a productive day, this includes being efficient with our work and getting things done. But it also means creating more meaningful moments and being intentional with how we spend our time.
- Related : How to Take Control of Your Life
Too often, we get caught up in our to-do lists and we forget that we are human beings, and not human “doings”. And to counter that, it’s important to be mindful about how we spend our time and to minimize the amount of time that’s wasted.
Because what we might not realize is that some things that we do mindlessly are actually draining our energy and focus that could be going towards more productive things that refill us.
So here are tips on how you can have a productive day, in an intentional and mindful way.
TIP # 1 | Plan the week
If you follow me on Instagram, it’s no secret that I love my Passion Planner and my Bullet Journal, the two tools that I use to stay organized.
On Sunday, I like to sit down and plan my week and to map out appointments, socializing, work outs, meal ideas. I also have a “To-do List” as well as a separate list of things to do for my business.
Then, every weeknight, I sit down with my planner to plan the following day. This helps me stay organized and productive because when I wake up the next morning, I know exactly what I want to get done that day.
TIP # 2 | Check things off as you go
If you want to be productive and STAY productive, then check off your to-do list as you go, even if it’s small tasks.
When you see your accomplishments, this will make you feel like you more fulfilled and give you the boost of motivation to keep the momentum going.
- Related : 6 Tips on How to Stick to Your Goals
(Wanna know a secret? There have been times where I had completed a task that wasn’t on my list, but then I wrote it down anyway, just to have the satisfaction of being able to cross it out).
TIP # 3 | Include physical movement
Physical movement is a key component of being productive because the more lethargic you feel, the less motivated you will feel and the less energy you will have.
When you move your body, you get your blood flowing to your brain as well, which …. Duh … is an important part of staying focused and productive.
- Related : How to Cultivate Habits in 5 Steps
Find small ways to keep you moving :
- Set a reminder on your phone to get up once an hour to get a glass of water or go to the washroom
- Get up and do some stretches as you’re thinking about a problem or how to phrase something
- If you have to take a phone call, put on your headphones and pace or go outside for a walk
TIP # 4 | Include fun things to look forward to
Let’s be honest, it’s great (and important) to be productive when it comes to work but at the end of the day, what’s life without a little bit of fun?
Every day, have something to look forward to. Whether it’s cooking a nice meal for yourself, listening to a podcast, listening to a music and dancing like no one’s watching, calling up a friend…find the things that make you happy and that you enjoy doing and schedule it into your day, even if it’s for 10-15 minutes.
Investing in your emotional well-being is important because if you’re always focused on tasks, then you can easily forget to truly live.
PIN NOW, READ LATER!
TIP # 5 | Prioritize
This productivity tip is especially important if you easily get overwhelmed with work and your endless to-do list.
Learn how to prioritize and create an A/B list : your “A” list are the things that you must get done that day, while your “B” list are the things that you would like to get done, but it’s okay if they get done the following day.
- Related : The Secret to Achieving Your Goals
If you want to have a productive day, you have to be realistic with your time and your energy and how much you can accomplish, and creating a list of priorities will help remove some pressure so that you can be more productive and focused on the tasks at hand.
TIP # 6 | Set intentions in the morning
The same as tip # 4, it’s not always about being productive every single moment of the day. A great way to start your day is to set intentions : how do you want to feel today? What do you want to focus on? How do you want to experience your day?
When you shift your focus on how you want to feel, then your mind will naturally focus on that as well. And regardless of your list, whether it’s 10-feet long or you have 2 tasks to accomplish that day, you can make sure that your energy is focused towards how you want to feel that day, which in turn will give you the emotional and physical energy to be productive.
Because the less you waste energy on “negative” emotions, the more energy you will have to be productive.
TIP # 7 | Limit distractions
An obvious one but I had to include it.
Distractions will cause you to lose focus, and every time you have to get back into focus, you are wasting precious energy that could be spent on being productive.
Distractions include :
- Listening to music – although I love music, sometimes, it’s better to just allow your brain to focus on the task at time
- Your phone – endless notifications and calls…. Need I explain more?
- Eating – this is something that I’ve noticed after working from home for a few days. It’s so easy to get up every few minutes and find excuses like needing to grab a snack. Grab your water and coffee or tea, and sit your a*s down and get to work. Stop making excuses to get up! Get to work!
Grab a planner or a notebook and start planning your day, using the 7 tips from this post! Here are a few questions to help you:
- What are all the things you’d like to get done tomorrow?
- Organize them by A/B list (priority A, and priority B)
- Break down some of the tasks from List A so that it’s less overwhelming
- Make sure to plan out your morning routine – what will you do to start your day on the right foot?
If you want to get a visual perspective on the tips that I shared in this blog post, then watch the video below where I offer a slight variation of how you can stay productive at home (there’s a bonus tip in the video!)
CLICK TO WATCH NOW!
- WEEKLY NEWSLETTER | Want to receive weekly Love Letters and motivational emails? Sign up to the mailing list HERE
- FACEBOOK | Stay up to date with all my content by following the Facebook page – Click HERE
- PODCAST | Are you on-the-go? Listen to my Podcast for practical advice on how to Live a Life you Love – Click HERE
- GOAL-SETTING WORKSHOP | Ready to set inspired goals? Click HERE to sign up to the FREE goal-setting workshop where I guide you through a step-by-step process on setting your goals!
- “CREATE A LIFE OF LOVE + PURPOSE” MASTER CLASS | Learn the tools and strategies to live a more meaningful and happy life. Click HERE to learn more.