Create an inspiring morning routine so that you can start your day feeling balanced and mindful. Your morning routine will set the tone for the rest of your day so it’s important to find the right formula that cultivates the right emotions that you can carry with your throughout the day.
What’s the FIRST thing you do in the morning when you get up?
Scenario 1: You check your phone and end up mindlessly scrolling on Instagram or Twitter, until you realize that you’re late and you have to rush to get ready and leave the house so that you’re on time for work.
Scenario 2: You hit snooze 10 times, until you realize that you’re going to be late for work and you have to dash out of the house, coffee in hand.
Which scenario sounds more like you? (be honest with yourself!)
Now I want you to imagine scenario 3, a morning where you feel relaxed, you’re enjoying some quiet time, you feel grounded and you’re slowly getting ready for the day by picking out an outfit, doing your makeup slowly while listening to an inspiring podcast.
Out of all 3, which one sounds more inspiring?
Which scenario do you think will lead you to feel more calm, centred and mindful for the rest of the day?
I’m a busy girl – between running a blog and building a business on top of working full-time job, going to the gym 4-5 times per week, trying to cook most meals at home…and this doesn’t even include things like running errands, doing groceries, spending time with my husband, with my family…let alone having some downtime for myself…
And what I realized is that the most precious gift we can give to ourselves is TIME.
We’re all busy. I get it. But we must CREATE that time for ourselves, to help us feel more centered and balanced. To give ourselves the space to just BE and breathe!
So if you feel like you need revamp your morning routine, keep on reading!
The importance of your morning routine
If you want to feel more mindful, inspired, calm, centered and balanced throughout the day, then you NEED to create a morning routine so that you can start your day the same way. This will help you carry out the same emotions and feelings for the rest of your day.
Because if you start your day frazzled, rushed and stressed out, I guarantee that this will negatively affect how you feel for the rest of the day, whether you realize it subconsciously or not.
Your morning routine is a way that you can set the tone and your intentions for the day.
Think about it – how do you want to feel on a daily basis? Are the emotions you’d like to experience? How do you want to experience life? Do you want to feel stressed, on the edge and all over the place?
By easing into your day, you are allowing yourself the gift of time to be able to get ready, mentally, emotionally and physically, rather than rushing around and getting flustered first thing in the morning.
And your morning routine will allow you to have some space and time to connect with yourself so that you can have the space to hear your thoughts, feel your emotions, and process anything that you might be feeling.
This is a time where you can quiet your mind so that you can listen to your heart and hear what dreams you have, what goals you’d like to achieve.
It’s a quiet moment in your day because our lives are so crazy busy all the time, that you NEED to create that space and that time to just be, to breathe, and to sit with yourself and your thoughts and your emotions.
And by doing that, you’re practicing mindfulness because you’re consciously taking the time to listen to your thoughts and with time, you’ll be able to tune into your thoughts and emotions throughout the day as well, so that you can understand and process whatever is happening inside you.
What is an “inspiring” morning routine
If you don’t know me by now, I’m all about the inspired living.
But what does “inspired” mean, especially in the context of a morning routine?
YOu know the feeling where you’re happy, you’re at peace, you’re content – you just feel that things are aligned? There’s a flow to your day, things are easy. And whatever happens, that sense of contentment and inner peace can’t be changed?
THAT’S inspired living.
When your mind, heart and body are connected and things are flowing, there’s an ease to it. You have the space to be who you want to be, you have the time to do what you want to do, and you have the space to experience anything you want to experience.
And if you want to feel that way, on a daily basis, then you need an inspired morning routine. You MUST give yourself the space to think, feel and BE.
Which means that you need to create an inspired morning routine, but more importantly, you need to consistently practice it. You need to practice this routine, every single day, no excuses, so that you can build your ‘inspiration’ reserve.
Because by quieting your mind, every morning, you’re more likely to be mindful during the day.
By being mindful about everything that you’re doing in the morning, you’re more likely to be mindful about your habits and behaviours that day.
By moving your body first thing in the morning, you’re literally warming up your muscles and joints and system, so that you can feel better physically throughout the day.
Now, who wouldn’t want that?!
An inspired morning routine has the power to give you the emotional and physical energy to tackle your day, to maintain your habits, to be positive and to be able to take a step towards achieving your goals.
PIN NOW, READ LATER!
Guidelines on creating an inspiring morning routine
Before we get into how to create an inspiring routine, I want to mention a few guidelines.
- Keep it SHORT: Don’t plan an hour long routine, it’s not realistic. When you’re building a habit, you have to start small until the foundation is there, and then you can build on it. I recommend starting with a 5-10 minute morning routine and maintaining that for 2-3 months, and then if you feel the need to, you can make it longer.
- Every person is different: Create a morning routine that makes YOU feel good and inspired. Because it’s about creating a routine that makes you feel connected to yourself. My morning routine will not look the same as yours, and that’s okay.
- Try different things: Especially if this is the first you’re creating a morning routine, try different things out until you see what works for you! There is no right or wrong way to do it. Your measure of “success” is how YOU feel! So get inspired by other morning routines, try them out, and see what you like the most.
- Prepare the night before: Your morning routine starts the night before. Prepare anything that you can before going to bed to make your morning run smoother. This means preparing your purse/gym bag, lunch and clothes, so that in the morning, you’re not trying to remember your list of things to take because everything is ready to go and you can just focus on your morning routine.
The formula to create an inspiring morning routine
The formula is very simple, because your morning routine should be simple!
There are three areas in your life, and if they’re balanced, you will feel more balanced. And the same goes for your morning routine.
So pick ONE element for each area, and voila, you have your morning routine!
Remember to keep it short and sweet, and to keep it as simple as possible. But pick the things that make YOU feel good, that resonate the most with you.
Even though I want you to try new things, most importantly, I want you to build the habit of a morning routine, and then you can play around with trying new practices that you’ve never done before.
Below are the three areas, the mind, the body, and the soul, and I provided a quick explanation of what each area represents, and then gave you a few examples.
You can use anything that you think of, as long as it works for YOU!
AREA 1 | Mind
You want to direct your thoughts towards what you’re trying to create in your life. So pick a practice that helps you channel your thoughts towards a more inspired and calm place, that helps you process thoughts and emotions.
Here are a few examples:
- Repeat a mantra
- Read an inspirational book
- Listen to an inspirational podcast
AREA 2 | Body
Moving your body slowly in the morning is a great way to get your blood flowing. Of course, there are the health benefits, but there are also emotional benefits of moving your body. This is an opportunity to wake up your body.
Here are a few examples:
- Brush your teeth, drink water
- Stretch lightly
- Go outside for a walk (if time permits)
AREA 3 | Soul
Listen to heart, it will tell you what it’s truly seeking. But to be able to hear your heart’s true desires, you need to quiet your mind.
Here are a few examples:
Here are a few things that I would encourage you to do/not do in the morning:
- Don’t look at your phone for at least 30-45 minutes after you wake up;
- Brush your teeth before drinking water – there are health benefits to it!;
- Check your schedule the night before so that you know what to expect the next day;
- If you’re having a hard time figuring out the timing, work your way backwards: what time do you need to leave the house? How long do you need to get ready? Then add a 5-10 minute buffer and give yourself a 15 minute window to get through your inspired morning routine;
Time for you to create an inspiring morning routine!
Pick one practice from each of the 3 areas (mind, body, soul) and figure out the details of your morning routine.
Think about EXACTLY what you’re going to do in the morning, including:
- What time will you get out of bed?
- How long will each take?
- What will you do first?
Write your inspiring morning routine down and try it for one week, and then adjust depending on what you liked and didn’t like!
Remember, there’s no right or wrong way to do this, just focus on how your inspiring morning routine is making you feel!
- WEEKLY NEWSLETTER | Want to receive weekly Love Letters and motivational emails? Sign up to the mailing list HERE
- FACEBOOK | Stay up to date with all my content by following the Facebook page – Click HERE
- PODCAST | Are you on-the-go? Listen to my Podcast for practical advice on how to Live a Life you Love – Click HERE
- GOAL-SETTING WORKSHOP | Ready to set inspired goals? Click HERE to sign up to the FREE goal-setting workshop where I guide you through a step-by-step process on setting your goals!
- “CREATE A LIFE OF LOVE + PURPOSE” MASTER CLASS | Learn the tools and strategies to live a more meaningful and happy life. Click HERE to learn more.