May 27th, 2020 was a day that changed everything. On the same day:
- My grandfather passed away
- I signed my separation papers
- My goddaughter was born
In the last 365 days:
- I bought my first home, by myself;
- I moved for the second time in a year, and created a physically and emotionally safe home for myself to heal and grow;
- I lost love, and found an even more powerful love…for myself and my dreams;
- I got out of shape and am getting back in shape;
- My business grew and on top of my full-time 9-5 job, I am transforming my passion into a business
In the past year, I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting. Thinking. Processing. Healing. And I wanted to share some of the most important lessons I’ve learned. I also wanted to mark this day for myself because I’ve been through a lot. And I’m still amazed at how much I’ve changed in one year, and I always want to remember these important life lessons.
Here’s what I’ve learned and 20 things that I wish I knew one year ago:
- You have the power to change anything in yourself and in your life
2. Don’t underestimate the power of small changes. They add up.
3. Whatever you are going through, I know it’s hard, but it will pass. Trust me. It will pass. Just take it day-by-day, little by little.
4. Know your worth. And don’t accept anything less than you deserve.
5. Trust your instincts, and never change your values or beliefs, for anyone. No one is worth it.
6. Believe in yourself. Stop underestimating your capabilities. You are stronger than you realize.
7. Don’t wait for something bad to happen to appreciate what you DO have in your life. Cherish it. Appreciate it. Express gratitude for it. Because you never know when those comforts can be taken away from you.
8. Don’t let fear drive your decisions. Don’t let fear stop you from making choices for YOU.
9. Find things that you love doing. Do them often.
10. Learn how to be okay on your own, to be okay with your own company, with your own thoughts and your emotions. And more importantly, learn how to not be afraid of your emotions, and to understand why you are feeling a certain way. That is the most empowering thing you can do for yourself.
11. Surround yourself with people that uplift you, that cherish you, and that truly love you for YOU and want the best for you.
12. Don’t confuse comfort for love.
13. Learn how to deeply love and appreciate yourself, and to wholeheartedly believe in your dreams (and to go after them).
14. Don’t be afraid of the unknown. Because that’s the beauty of life, it can unfold into something even more amazing that you ever imagined.
15. Be confident in your decisions. And trust that every choice you made, you made it with the knowledge you had at the time.
16. Learn from your mistakes. And move on. Don’t dwell on the past. You can’t change it. But focus ahead, on the future, and what you can accomplish.
17. Find things that make you smile, that make you laugh, and that make you feel connected to your inner child. Let him/her come out and play.
18. Show yourself the same love, patience, kindness and compassion you would show someone you care about. You deserve it.
19. Look at the world with curiosity and excitement at the opportunities and possibilities. Believe that anything within your imagination is possible.
20. Be happy. No matter what, try to choose happiness and joy. Life is short. Don’t let it pass you by.